Aging is a fact of life, and many people find themselves losing some of their abilities to properly take care of themselves due to illness, injury, or the natural process of aging. For people who need extra help, there are different levels of care, from occasional help with medications or household chores to 24 hour medical monitoring.
There are many reasons to choose in home care versus assisted living or a nursing home for loved ones who need special assistance. Some of the top reasons include:
1. Independence – many people cite independence and a desire to stay in their home as the number one reason they choose in home health care; staying in the same surroundings can encourage patients to keep doing as much for themselves as possible with limited assistance instead of just turning everything over to a hired worker in a facility
2. Family – those who continue to live at home do not have to adhere to a strict timeline regarding visiting hours, mealtimes, and other activities, which makes it easier for family members and friends to visit
3. Continuity of Care – using home care ensures that the same nurses, doctors, and care providers are involved with the patient; this makes medical errors less likely and also helps the patient bond with their caregivers
4. Health and Safety – many patients feel safest when they are at home and don’t have to worry about infections or contracting illnesses from other patients; home care can also be easier than a facility because of the lack of “red tape” and complications
5. Financial – the cost of in home health care is generally less than an assisted living facility or nursing home; this can be crucial to elderly patients who may rely on a fixed income or specific insurance provisions to pay for their care.
When finding in home care for a loved one, it is crucial to find the provider who best meets the needs of the patient and the family. Trusted Hands Network has the ability to make the search for in home care easier and less stressful.